This week, Saint Valentine’s Day insights, interesting TV data, and more. Here’s your summary of the most relevant consumer insight research in Latin American markets. If you’re trying to keep up with the latest happenings, this is your one-stop shop. Check out the previous Latam Consumer Insights Roundup here.
Saint Valentine’s Day Insights
- Four out of ten Mexican consumers said they intended to make a purchase online for Saint Valentine’s Day. Almost two thirds (60%) planned to make purchases both on and offline, and only 14% intended to get something at a physical store. The research, by the Mexican Association of Online Retail (AMVO), also found that 40% of consumers expressed they’d spend $351-$500 MXN on gifts for Saint Valentine’s Day. A smaller portion of the population (15%) planned to spend up to $2000 MXN.
- Procolombia, an organization that promotes exportation of Colombian goods, has also provided Saint Valentine’s Day Insights. According to their data, the most popular products in Colombia around February 14 are (in that order): flowers, chocolate, perfume, lingerie, jewelry, stationery, balloons, and plush animals.
Mexican TV Viewers and Online Shoppers
- A recent survey by Mexico’s Federal Institute of Communications (IFT) has found that 72% of Mexicans watch open broadcast TV. According to the study, TV consumption grew by 8% since last year. In fact, 93% of respondents own a TV. The top viewing times for consumers are weeknights and weekend afternoons. Consumer’s preferred categories are news (44%) and movies (40%).
- In November 2019, household consumption in Mexico grew by 1.1% compared to the previous year. This is according to Mexico’s National Insitute of Geography and Statistics (Inegi.)The most relevant category for consumers was that of imported goods.
- According to a recent study about online behavior by InternetMX, ecommerce in Mexico is now worth $299,660 million MXN. This represents a 22% growth compared to the previous year. Additionally, 80% of 83 million Mexican internet users have made a purchase online in the last 12 months.